The Cuba Sustainable Energy Forum 2018 is jointly organised by the Ministry of Energy and Mines of the Republic of Cuba and the European Union.
The two-day forum will now take place on 30 and 31 January 2018 in Havana, Cuba at the PABEXPO Exhibition Centre. The forum will take place on the occasion of the Cuba International Renewable Energies Trade Fair to be held on 30 January – 1 February 2018, organised by Grupo Empresarial PALCO and Fira Barcelona Internacional at the Pabexpo Exhibition Centre, Habana.
Please note that the forum was originally scheduled to take place on 19 and 20 September 2017 but was postponed due to the damage caused by Hurricane Irma.
In order to achieve the ambitious 2030 goals described in the Development Perspective of Renewable Energy Sources and Energy Efficiency (“Política para el Desarrollo Perspectivo de las Fuentes Renovables y el Uso Eficiente de la Energía”), Cuba is calling foreign investors to take a serious look at the investment opportunities on offer as included in the “CUBA: Portfolio of Opportunities for Foreign Investment 2016-2017” which includes renewable energy project opportunities in wind, solar PV, hydro and biomass. The Cuban Government:
- Provides projects that are ready for implementation and fully permitted
- Guarantees the purchase of all generated energy, on a priority basis
- Offers long-term power purchase agreements with negotiated market prices
The organisers of the event offer a targeted matchmaking meeting facilitation between potential foreign investors and the relevant Cuban project negotiators.
Also, the EU is anticipating the provisional application of the Political Dialogue and Cooperation Agreement between the EU and Cuba supporting, among other areas, the sustainable energy sector. A new convergence of interests between the EU and Cuba now exists and the EU has an important leading role to play.
Important background documents to the forum:
- INFORMATION NOTE: Overview of Sustainable Energy in Cuba (pdf)
- INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES: Overview of foreign investment opportunities in renewable energy in Cuba (pdf)
- WHO’S WHO: Institutional organization of the sustainable energy sector in Cuba (pdf)
The Forum has two main objectives:
- For the Cuban authorities to present their new energy and foreign investment policies along with the portfolio of investment opportunities in the fields of renewable energy and energy efficiency in Cuba;
- For the EU to showcase technologies and lessons learnt from the European experience and present the range of available financing instruments in Cuba.
The two-day event is structured as follows:
- Day 1:
- High-level opening and state of play / transition to sustainable energy
- Presentation of the pipeline of renewable energy investment opportunities in Cuba
- Presentation of the energy efficiency investment opportunities in Cuba
- Financing options for sustainable energy in Cuba
- Day 2:
- Specific investment opportunities in wind, solar and hydro & presentation of best practices / latest developments from industry associations
- Specific investment opportunities in biomass / bioenergy – & presentation of best practices / latest developments from industry associations
- Innovative renewable energy technology solutions relevant for Cuba
- Panel discussion: accelerating renewable energy investments in Cuba
B2B / Networking
A key aspect of the forum is the “B2B” which includes support for the organisation of bilateral meetings between Cuban negotiators and foreign investors. See more information in the section “networking”.
Policymakers, energy companies (including manufacturers and technology providers, developers, investors), financiers, funds, EU Member States as well as International Organisations are expected to participate in this event.
Go to the registration button and sign up!
If you are interested in exhibiting at the Fair, please see more information at http://www.firacuba.com/en/energias-renovables.
Please check under the Documents section of this website for more background materials, news and all documentation on the conference which is downloadable.